Braised Lamb Shanks
Makes 4 lamb shanks
- 4 lamb shanks (about 3/4 lb. each)
- salt + pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups full-bodied red wine (we used Chianti)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 Tbsp dried rosemary (or 3 Tbsp fresh)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4-1/2 cup whole milk, room temp.
- 2-1/2 Tbsp butter, room temp.
Bring water to a boil in a medium pot and add the salt. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal, trying to break up any clumps. Reduce heat to low, stirring frequently until the cornmeal is tender and the mixture is thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Remove pot from heat and add the butter and Parmesan. Let them melt a bit before adding 1/4 cup milk and stirring smooth. Continue adding milk until you reach your desired creamy consistency. Season with salt and pepper, and serve as a bed for the lamb shanks and gravy.
Recipe adapted from Giada.