Root Vegetable Gratin
Makes one 8×8 pan
- olive oil
- 1 cup fennel, top and core removed and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3/4 cups onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb. sweet potato, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 lb. celery root, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded (3 oz.)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 Tsbp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1-1/4 cups panko
- 1.5 Tbsp butter
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8×8 pan.
Heat about a Tbsp of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the fennel and onions. Saute until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30-60 seconds more.
While doing that, in a large mixing bowl combine the rest of the vegetables, heavy cream, stock, cheese, and thyme. Add the onions and fennel when done, and season with the salt and pepper. Pour into your dish.
Combine the panko and butter, and spread over the vegetables evenly. Bake for 1-1/2 hours until the top is golden, vegetables are tender, and the mixture is bubbling. Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Ina.